BELMONT bridge design competition
I. THE CHALLENGE:
The Belmont Bridge in the city of Charlottesville, VA must be rebuilt. But it doesn’t need another “raised road.” The city needs a “Gait-way” – an iconic, pedestrian-centric, bike & auto friendly gateway bringing Charlottesville into the next era of world-class cities. (Budget $14.5 million.) We’re looking for creative, inspiring, innovative and extraordinary solutions – in both bridge design and urban planning. Examine the city’s assets. Provide the plan.
For all tech specs, please refer to: http://www.belmontbridge.com/design-scenarios
• Bridge would ideally remain open during construction.
• Lower clearance over the train tracks of minimum 23 feet.
• 5% upper limit of the curvature of the roadway (for sight lines)
Familiarize yourself with the process. Pay attention to the community feedback*
- as well as suggestions from the community charrette.
*This design did not meet approval.
III. Belmont Bridge Guiding Principles:
1. Multi-modal — serving pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit.
2. Gateway – to downtown/neighborhoods, a vital link for residents and commuters.
3. Iconic – an aesthetically important piece of public infrastructure with architectural treatments reflective of the contemporary Charlottesville community.
4. Green – incorporate green features (low-energy/living) and sustainable materials.
5. Feasible – built within its existing footprint,** in compliance with design standards.
**Footprint is subject to debate – innovative urban planning solutions will be considered.
Design presentation limited to one mounted vertical 36″ x 40″ board. Site plan, section, elevation, aerial/axonometric view. Plus a short, written description of your concept (max 300 words – Helvetica 11 pt). Include your contact info in an envelope and attach it to the back – no identifying info on the design display side. (You will be assigned a number.)
Although not required, models are encouraged – as a secondary component in addition to board. (max size: 30″ x 30″ x 8″)
Mail designs to:
Project Gait-Way: The Bridge PAI, 209 Monticello Rd, Charlottesville, Va. 22902.
Digital submissions: You may send a digital file. But you must also mail a letter (received by deadline) and check for $60 for printing/mounting to The Bridge PAI 209 Monticello Rd, Charlottesville, Va. 22902 – payable to The Bridge PAI (memo: Bridge Competition). Email digital file (PDF or jpg) to email@example.com.
• Open Submission: Deadline 6pm February 11, 2012.***
• Public Display: February 13 – 19, 2012 at the City Space in Charlottesville, VA
• Judging will be comprised of public votes and a jury of local stakeholders.
• Award: 8pm February 19, 2012
• $1,000 Bridge Jury Award
• People’s Choice Award (prize TBD)
• $1,000 Urban Planning Jury Award
• People’s Choice Urban Planning Award (prize TBD)
***Note: Wall space is limited. The competition might not display designs of lesser quality.
For specific questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org